Birth Doula Services:
• When you are considering a birth doula, we will schedule a first meeting with a Birth Angels team (consiting of two doulas who will function as a primary and a back-up doula for your birth). It is at this meeting that you interview the team and decide whether you'd like to hire a Birth Angels Doula. (There is no charge for this initial meeting.)
The Cost: The flat rate of $1600 covers the following:
• Once you have hired a Birth Angels team, you and your primary doula will schedule a personalized Prenatal Meeting (usually in your home). This meeting typically lasts about 1.5-2 hours long and usually takes place during your 35th/36th week. It is during this meeting that you discuss your birth preferences with your doula. If necessary, your birth doula will provide a birth plan/preferences consultation. (If scheduling permits, your back-up doula will also attend the prenatal meeting.)
• Starting at your 37th week of pregnancy, your birth doula will be on-call for you 24 hours a day/7 days a week. As of 3 weeks prior to your due date, you can have unlimited phone and email contact with your doula.
• Your doula can provide contact information for various birth/pregnancy related resources.
• When you are in labor and need your doula, she will come to you wherever. She will provide continuous emotional, physical and informational support throught the labor and birth.
• Your birth doula will remain with you and your family for 1-2 hours after the birth, assist with initial breastfeeding and make sure you're settled before she leaves.
• Within one-two weeks after your baby's birth you are entitled to one post-partum visit from your doula so that she may admire your baby, answer questions and provide referrals for resources.
• On occasion your primary birth doula is unable to attend your labor because of unforseen circumstances. Should this occur, the back-up doula from the Birth Angels team will come to your birth in her stead. You will have already met your back-up doula at the Meet & Greet (and possibly the prenatal meeting).
• Birth Angels doulas will happily work with you in a hospital, birthing center, or your home.
Please be aware that your choice of care provider can greatly influence your birth experience. As doulas, we cannot change your provider's protocols and practices. If you are feeling unsure about your choice of provider, we are happy to discuss your various options. However, no matter whom you give birth with or what the circumstances are, we will support you in any and all ways we can.
Lamaze Childbirth Education Services:
All of our Childbirth Education classes are based on Lamaze's 6 Healthy Birth Practices
1) Let Labor Begin On Its Own
2) Walk, Move Around, and Change Positions Throughout Labor
3) Bring a Loved One, Firend, or Doula for Continuous Support
4) Avoid Interventions That Are Not Medically Necessary
5) Avoid Giving Birth on Your Back, and Follow Your Body's Urges to Push
6) Keep Mother and Baby Together - It's Best for Mother, Baby, and Breastfeeding
Classes last a total of 12 hours and they can be taken in three different formats:
Weekend intensive: Saturday & Sunday for 6 hours each day
Month-long: 4 classes, 3 hours each
Weekly Classes: 6 classes, 2 hours each
Rates are determined by the number of couples in the class, not by the different formats
Private Classes (1 couple): $400/couple
Semi-Private Classes: (2-3 couples): $350/couple
Group Classes: (4 or more couples): $300/couple
Limit of 8 couples/class
Birth Angels childbirth preparation classes are taught by a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator (LCCE) and use a combination of styles (lecture, video, demonstration, and practice) to educate moms about what to expect during labor and how best to accomplish their birth goals. Keep in mind that this is not your mother’s Lamaze class – it’s not just about breathing anymore. Although breathing techniques are one of the comfort measure that will be covered during the class, there are many other techniques that will also be demonstrated in class. Our childbirth educator, Jessica, is also an experienced doula who has assisted many couples through a variety of birth choices and experiences.
There is no one right way to labor only what is right for you. The goal of Birth Angels Childbirth Education courses is to increase a woman's confidence in her ability to give birth and help her find her own way. Our classes are based on the best, most current medical evidence available. We believe that birth is a normal process and we hope to inspire confidence in the couples that we work with. During the classes couples will learn:
• Basic Anatomy, Gestation and the Simple Story of Birth
• Signs, Stages and Emotional Changes during labor
• Pain Management Techniques and Comfort Measures including breathing, relaxation, position changes, massage techniques, pressure points, hydrotherapy, aromatherapy, covalization, and much more
• Evidence-Based Care
• Birth Site Options
• Labor support - who to have at your birth
• Understanding Medical Support or Interventions and Induction
• Cesarean Birth and Prevention
• Postpartum Health
• Basics of Breastfeeding
In the end, Birth Angels trusts birth and we hope to encourage our students to do the same.